Pages

September 27, 2012

Benefits of Sourdough: The Superbread!

Good Morning!

Since it is my morning off of early mornings, I like to make myself a yummy breakfast.  And this morning was no exception.  Recently, I have been interested in having my own sourdough starter.  I was listening to Sandor Katz, author of the Art of Fermentation, on CPR (Colorado Public Radio), and how his life of disease changed when he decided to eat all fermented foods (which is more than you think!).  Bread, cheese, wine, pickles, beer, yogurt, sauerkraut, salami, tempeh, and soy sauce are among many fermentable and healthy foods!

In wheat and other grain sources, the enzyme lactic acid is a byproduct in sourdough that can break down phytic acid, which may not be easily digestible according to many studies.  We can talk more about how phytic acid is a problem in our diet, but mainly, it blocks our body's ability to uptake and utilize key nutrients like magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, and calcium.  We need those!  Most breads are very high in phytic acid. I believe this is one cause of many that are making us more fat yet hungry and begging for nutrients.  And other studies show that these nutrients (found in veggies!) help lower health risks caused by obesity.  This Harvard study says so, among many.  If this topic really interests you, I recommend the documentaries Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead and The Beautiful Truth.

Ever since this research, I have been taking MOST breads out of my diet.  Unfortunately, I still enjoy some baked goods (especially baked with love from my mother) and the occasional bread at someone else's house.  There are none in my cupboards!  The only thing that I keep around is a frozen loaf of Ezekiel bread, which is sprouted which also may help decrease the amount of phytic acid.  (Speaking of frozen, sourdough does not go bad as quickly as regular bread, another plus!)

Another study I came across mentioned that sourdough, not only takes away most phytic acid, it also is shown to reduce the high insulin response found in *GASP* whole wheat!!!  White sourdough AND white breads are less likely to produce a high blood sugar response.  This lack of high blood sugar response in sourdough, if eaten in the morning, also lasted throughout the day, making what you eat for breakfast even MORE important!  And if you are gluten intolerant, the soaking and rising process of sourdough helps break down gluten into key amino acids, making it more easy to digest and use...

All said, here is a recipe for Sourdough pancakes.  They were SUPER tasty and fluffy, and REALLY filled me up (which is hard these days, ha!).

Sourdough Pancakes

*recipe found through this blog: gnoflglins.com (the weirdest blog name, but check it out because it stands for something cool!)

4 T. melted butter/coconut oil/olive oil (I used coconut)
1/2 tsp salt ( I really noticed the salty flavor, which I don't like, so I will be halving this next time...)
1 egg
2 T sweetener (I used maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 T cinnamon, if desired
2 c sourdough starter
1 tsp baking soda
1T water

Directions:  
Heat up your skillet on low as you mix ingredients!  
Take oil, salt, egg, syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and whisk together.  Add starter and mix again until fully incorporated.  Next, take soda and water in a separate small cup and stir.   Set aside. 
Oil skillet!
Pour baking soda mixture into batter and mix immediately.  Pour it to make your cakes!  I didn't have anything atop my cakes, they were filling and tasty enough.  Feel free to add fruit (banana sounds great), nuts, or syrup!

This is your batter, right after pouring the soda water.  Nice and bubbly:





Here is a blog I found easy to read and has some great recipes/ideas:
http://realfoodforager.com/5-reasons-to-make-sourdough-your-only-bread/

Since my "grow" section of this blog has slowed, due to the season that we are in, I figured this is a great new way to "grow" all year round ;)

Next, lets talk HOW to keep/maintain sourdough and a bread-baking post!  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great recipe, but I have ammended it to make it even more simple and with no sugar or oil: 1 cup starter, 1 egg, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 T water. Mix and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete