Pages

October 18, 2012

A Bunch of Food Ideas!

Good Morning!

Man, yesterday was great.  It was a good day at work and then I truly just relaxed and enjoyed the day until spin class (6:30pm--which I also loved!), and then had a lazy evening watching Modern Family and reading up.  Here were my eats:

Breakfast:  one whole batch of sourdough pancakes (check comments for a simple version), 1 T peanut butter, and 1/2 cup cottage cheese (split between waking up early and after a few sessions)
Lunch: 2 oz. beef from the crock pot and a big chopped cabbage salad (recipe follows)
Dinner: (yikes) **same thing as lunch!  (normally, I wouldn't eat the same thing twice, but after spin class, I didn't want to make anything else! Just a wee bit of beef...)
Snacks:  Apple, hard-boiled egg, another pancake and 1/2 T almond butter, chocolate mousse (recipe follows)


Here's what I love about this salad recipe:  it is not a wilt-y salad, in fact, it might even be better when the dressing juices are soaked up, so enjoy as many a left-over!

Chopped Cabbage Salad

1/3 of a red cabbage (about 2 or 3 cups chopped)
1 big carrot, sliced (so that they are rounds)
1/4 cup chopped onion, yellow
parsley or cilantro, chopped (to taste)

Dressing:
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
olive oil to 'thin out' the flavor
         **I always approximate the amounts and it turns out really, really strong, so I just add olive oil and water until it smoothes out.  It should have a kick to it nonetheless...

Pour dressing, toss salad, and eat or return to fridge to eat later!

Chocolate Mousse

1 serving plain greek yogurt (I don't care if its non-, low-, or full-fat!)
1 Tablespoon vanilla protein powder (or to taste-the more powder, the sweeter)
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder

Mix it all up and enjoy as dessert!  It was my snack while watching Modern Family!



This morning, I decided to break out of my 'diet' (see this post) to try some oatmeal.  The weather is chilly this a.m. and it made me crave warm oatmeal.  So I tried this recipe for baked banana oatmeal.  Katheats.com also has a pumpkin version here.  I just didn't have pumpkin on hand--bummer.  Next time!

It turned out great!  The only changes I made was a sprinkle of cinnamon, unsweetened almond milk (regular milk doesn't do my stomach any good...) and no brown sugar at the end.  Bananas are sweet enough!

Before baked:


After baked (extra YUMMY!!):


And topped with almond butter and a dollop of greek yogurt.  I tell ya, the greek yogurt addition was excellent.  Very reminiscent of cool whip ;)


The recipe serves 4, so here is the nutritional facts per serving for my version:

230 kcals, 4.7 g fat, 42.2 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 8.8 g sugar (just bananas!), 8.4 g protein
      **almond butter and yogurt not included

I DO have to say that after eating this and now digesting it, my stomach is making all sorts of weird growly noises, as in it is telling me that it doesn't remember or doesn't like digesting it.  Hmmm...but it was SO TASTY!

I have a cycle class at noon at Highlands Ranch.  COME OVER!


No comments:

Post a Comment