Pages

October 7, 2012

Party Weekend!

An excuse for a party is always fun, especially if it is for your own birthday!  My parents and two brothers (and family friend, Frances!) came up from the Springs, and joined my dearest friends who are living in Denver!  This small house packed plenty of people. Me and the brothers at the party:


Since Saturdays are my days off any sort of diet plan, it was easy to enjoy the day of good eatin' and boozin', but I have to tell you, I felt pretty awful by the end of the night, and I feel like I didn't eat much of anything 'bad'!  I started my morning before work with pumpkin pancakes as a birthday treat, packing in a full 20 grams of protein from greek yogurt and egg.  I was filled for a while!  At the party, caprese salad, cheese, wine, and chicken with ginger were all great.  The beer, chips, and brownies were the wreckers...but soooo tasty!

Today,  I got back on the wagon (after more pancakes for breakfast, oops!) with this WONDERFUL lentil soup I made up.  Lemony AND spicy, who would have thought!  Here it is:

Spicy Lemon Lentil Soup

1 cup lentils, cooked in 2 1/2 cups water
2 cups sauteed kale
1 serrano pepper
1 red pepper
1/2 habanero pepper
1 tsp bouillon paste (may need more, or just swap water for veggie/chicken stock)
1 can kidney beans
1 tsp lemon flavored olive oil (1 fresh squeezed lemon will work!)
lemon pepper (spice combo from Savory Spice Shop)

Saute kale and peppers in a pan with olive oil.  Cook lentils, then add to a big pot.  Add veggies, kidney beans, and bouillon with water (at least three cups**).  Add lemon (oil/juice/pepper).   Let it simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, then serve!
** I did not add enough water, hence the stew look...


Also, this doesn't LOOK tasty, but nothing with lentils looks good to me.  The flavor is so worth it!


SO many layers of flavor.  The spice + lemon was a great combo and it was very clean and light beyond that.  I am pretty good at adding everything in my fridge, but I think the simplicity of the ingredients made it uncomplicated so that the spice and lemon was not understated.  If I had yellow onion, that would be my only amendment.  Try it out!  Would be great with some warm sourdough bread :)

Later, I tried out my new teapot and Earl Grey Lavender tea, a birthday gift from dear friends Sarah and Chris.  Thanks you two!


No comments:

Post a Comment