Pages

October 12, 2012

Salads to Chili: Rollin' with the CO weather!

NEW RECIPES!

The weather has been STRANGE and I love it!  It's cool and crisp in the mornings, with a bright sunny promise.  It usually warms up to about 75-80 degrees, with a day or two of cool, rainy weather to break it up.  It has been a lovely pattern for fall!  So, that means that some days, I crave a summery salad and others, warm soups!  

This morning, I made up my pumpkin yogurt.  I just made this up this week, but didn't have much time to write about it!  Here is the recipe:

Pumpkin Yogurt:

-1 cup plain, nonfat greek yogurt (I'm partial to Fage or Chobani)
-1/2 cup pumpkin puree 
-1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Mix and enjoy a protein filled yogurt that tastes like pumpkin pie filling!

For lunch, I enjoyed this salad with spinach, red bell pepper, poblano pepper, 2 tablespoon walnuts, and two hard-boiled eggs.  A splash of balsamic vinegar for dressing.  Yum!  (see the sunlight?)


But then it got rainy and dreary and I got hungry this afternoon, so I enjoyed a leftover cup of crockpot chili from last night.

Crockpot Sweet Potato Chili:
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 lb ground turkey, cooked
2 shredded carrots
1 diced onion
1 small sweet potato, diced (it is my new favorite addition to chili!)
1 serrano pepper **if you like a little spice!
1 T. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
salt/pepper to taste

Mix together in crock pot and enjoy about 8 hours later!  I love chili, but just to prove this recipe is delish, the people I had over last night LOVED it.  Enjoy!

Tonight might be chicken leftover.  I've been enjoying putting things in the crock pot so that I save time to do other things (like trail run and shop!), so earlier this week I put 4 chicken breasts in a crock with almost 1 jar of salsa, diced red onion, and a serrano pepper.  It turned out amazing!

Sorry I have been a little MIA these past few days and I have no excuse except for trail running and shopping with my mom!  Shopping is ok, but when you grew up with a SUPER HELPFUL mother to shop with, it can handicap you from doing anything on your own.  I feel like I bought the store, but I haven't really purchased things that I need for months years...yikes!

Enjoy the new recipe ideas!

**to update my diet adventures:
I've been on a roll with my mainly veggie and protein diet, although there have been a few slip ups.  Saturday is always a day off...and that day landed on a birthday party which was perfect.  However, I had leftover homemade brownie (from the party) lying around, which happens to be my absolute fave, so it might have been nibbled on.  Plus, there was ice cream at the dinner last night...
The funny thing is, I am sticking to eating no fruit and no granola VERY well, which was my main downfall.  Those are both fairly healthy foods, but I may have had granola and fruit over a veggie choice too often.  This simple swap is making my veggie intake skyrocket!  I feel great, less weighed down by too many sugars (natural or not)!

No comments:

Post a Comment